The Hazard – Mobile Phones
Mobile phones can create a range of hazards when brought to College:
- They are valuable items that can easily be lost, stolen or damaged in the College environment;
- Using phones inappropriately to bully, intimidate or harass people can have serious consequences including police involvement; and
- Mobile phone usage in Colleges not only disrupts learning for the phone user but also for fellow students.
Presbyterian Ladies’ College’s Policy
Presbyterian Ladies’ College acknowledges parents may wish their child to carry a mobile phone for personal safety reasons however, the right of a student to have access to a mobile phone at College must be balanced with the responsibility to use it appropriately.
It is our policy that:
For Junior School and Years 7-10 Students
- Mobile phones must only be used by students before or after school.
- Mobile phones must be turned off and locked in the student’s locker during the school day.
For Year 11 and 12 students
- Students may carry their mobile phone with them during the school day but it should not be visible during recess and lunch times or between classes.
- Students may only use their mobile phones for educational purposes with the express permission of the class teacher. If a student chooses to have their phone in class, it must be switched to silent.
- Year 12 students may use their mobile phones strictly in the Common Room at all times.
For all students
- Courtesy, consideration of and respect for others is paramount at all times;
- Students should never photograph or record sound or capture other information during the school day or at any other school function without the express permission of the teacher in charge;
- Reports of all incidents of misuse of mobile phones will be recorded and retained on the record keeping database;
- Students are not permitted to use mobile phones during field trips, excursions or other off-campus supervised activities unless given permission to do so by relevant staff. Arrangements will be in place for communication with staff members in the case of an emergency;
- Non-observance or breaches of these rules may result in the mobile phone being confiscated. If the mobile phone is confiscated, parents will be informed before the end of the school day and will need to be collected from the relevant Student Reception by the parent/guardian of the student. If a parent/guardian is unable to collect the phone on that day, it will remain in Student Reception until the end of the school day.
- Parents are to be informed that in cases of emergency, the college remains an appropriate point of contact to reach their child quickly.
All staff are responsible to:
- Model appropriate behaviour at all times by keeping their mobile phones in their offices or personal belongings;
- Be vigilant in monitoring students when using mobile phones when requiring students to use mobile phones;
- Ensure students observe the mobile phone policy;
- Deal with all reported and observed incidents of inappropriate mobile phone use in accordance with this policy; and
- Ensure that any incident of inappropriate mobile phone use that they observe or is reported to them, is recorded appropriately.
Discipline for a Breach of Policy
Where a staff member breaches this policy Presbyterian Ladies’ College may take disciplinary action.