PLC offers a number of Music Scholarships to girls in Year 7 – 12 in 2019 which are awarded based on musical excellence as well as the current needs within the PLC Music Department.
Music Scholarships provide free instrument/vocal tuition and remission of a percentage of academic fees. The Music lesson component includes 32 x 40 minute individual lessons and instrument hire if necessary.
The Scholarship is available for 2019 but may be extended to include music tuition, instrument hire and academic fees in future years based on a satisfactory yearly review.
Applicants may apply for award on more than one instrument (refer to minimum standards criteria below) and for a Music Bursary.
Terms of Award
- Applications are open to students from Years 6 - 10 in 2018.
- Successful candidates will be expected to participate fully in the musical life of PLC, including performing in appropriate musical ensembles.
- Successful candidates will generally be expected to take classroom music in Years 8 – 10.
- Maintain a high level of achievement in their chosen area of music study.
- Complete formal music assessments (AMEB, PLC Internal Assessment Programme, etc).
Criteria (Performance Standard)
Instrumental/Vocal Scholarship candidates must have completed the following AMEB Grades or equivalent:
- Year 6 in 2018 – AMEB Grade 4 (or equivalent)
- Year 7 and 8 in 2018 – AMEB Grade 5 (or equivalent)
- Years 9 to 11 in 2018 – AMEB Grade 6 (or equivalent)
Candidates must be suitably prepared for audition. Applicants will be required to play two contrasting pieces of no more than three minutes in length, with piano accompaniment where required. Where two instruments are to be presented, only one piece on each instrument is required. The audition will also include aural tests (intervals, rhythm, triads and pitch) appropriate for her level (AMEB or Year) and sight reading.
Copies of relevant teacher references, exam or eisteddfod reports should be included with your application pack.